Proactive Steps that have been taken by The Weiss School as of March 12, 2020
Within The Weiss School, administration and staff continue to proactively safeguard our school community by implementing the following steps:
- Added an additional custodian to The Weiss School campus who is solely focused on disinfecting the school throughout the school day
- Enhanced deep cleaning by The Weiss School evening custodial crew to sanitize the school each night paying special attention to “high-touch” surfaces
- Additional custodian is working on a 20-minute rotation throughout the school each day using cleaning products to disinfect and sanitize “high-touch” surfaces including all door knobs/handles, bathrooms, desks/tables, hallway walls, and other school surfaces
- Each classroom has been issued a full stock of Purell Hand Sanitizer to be used by faculty and students. The school has plenty of products to continuously replenish classrooms
- The 3 portable, hand sanitizer stands located throughout the school (front office entrance, aftercare entrance, and the cafeteria) are continuously replenished with Purell hand sanitizer each day
- Continued daily “wellness” checks of students and promptly sending students home if they show signs of illness
- Increased attention to and instruction on healthy hygiene practices for our students (e.g. proper hand-washing, proper coverage of coughs and sneezes). We invite you to reinforce these practices at home using the Hand Washing Guide
As of March 12, 2020, The Weiss School remains open and operating as normal. However, Administration is also making preparations for the possibility of The Weiss School closing at some point in the future due to the health issues surrounding COVID-19. The Weiss School will be following the guidance of state and local health officials regarding any potential school closures. Administration will also be closely monitoring the School District of Palm Beach County (SDPBC) in regard to their decisions about school closures. In the event that SDPBC closes schools, The Weiss School will also close due to health concerns regarding COVID-19.
Effective as of March 12, 2020, Administration has implemented the following actions to limit/prevent health concerns:
- All Weiss School-sponsored field trips have been cancelled until further notice.
- All Weiss School Athletic events and practices (Tennis, Track & Field, Baseball, Flag Football, and Golf) are cancelled as of March 12th at 3:00pm and will remain cancelled indefinitely until further notice. Parents and students will be notified by their respective coaches if any practices or games are rescheduled in the future.
- March 14, 2020: The LLS Family Fun Day has been postponed. Parents and students will be notified if the event will be rescheduled at a later date.
- March 20, 2020: Field Day has been postponed. Parents and students will be notified if the event will be rescheduled at a later date.
- As of March 12, 2020, Terra Nova testing will still occur from March 16th – March 19th. If students are absent during this week of testing, make-up testing will occuron a date to be determined following the return to School after Spring Break. If School is not in session after Spring Break, parents and students will be notified of the make-up testing days when the School re-opens.
Continuous Instructional Plan: The Weiss School
The Weiss School Administration has been meeting on a daily basis to formalize aContinuous Instructional Plan to limit the impact of COVID-19 on student learning at The Weiss School. The objective of this Plan is to ensure that Weiss School students are able to continue their education from home if the need arises through a Virtual Learning Environment. All students in EC-8th grade will be able to take their technology device home for use in the event of a school closure.
Provided below is a preliminary timeline of the implementation of the Virtual Learning Environment in the event that The Weiss School is closed for a period of time due to the health concerns related to COVID-19:
- March 16-19, 2020: Weiss School is expected to be open and operating as normal. Terra Nova testing will occur Monday – Thursday and ending at 11:30 a.m. After lunch/recess, students will resume their normal school day and dismissal will occur at 3:30 p.m. as usual. Due to 3rd quarter ending on March 13, 2020, this time will be used to begin introducing students to the Virtual Learning Environment that will be in place at the beginning of 4th quarter (March 30, 2020) in the event that the School is closed.
- March 20, 2020: Noon Dismissal
- March 23-27, 2020: SPRING BREAK – NO SCHOOL
IF SCHOOL CLOSURE IS REQUIRED FOLLOWING SPRING BREAK – Tentative Plan (subject to change as determined by ongoing community health updates)
March 30 – April 10: Virtual Learning Environment
The Weiss School has a 1:1 technology device to student ratio which will allow students to continue their learning through a Virtual Learning Environment at home. Specific plans are still being finalized regarding the daily and weekly schedule of the Virtual Learning Environment if needed; however, please be assured that The Weiss School will continue to provide ongoing instruction to students through a variety of methods in the event of an unexpected school closure.
The Virtual Learning Environment would involve interactive instruction and learning between Weiss faculty and Weiss School students utilizing alternative delivery methods (specific methods will vary based on student grade levels):
- Faculty and students will utilize the Zoom Meeting software that allows for students to receive interactive discussion through the use of video presentations and teleconferencing. Training resources on the use of the Zoom Meeting software for faculty are currently being developed and faculty will be ready to provide instruction via the Virtual Learning Environment during any potential school closure dates. If school is still in session during the week of Terra Nova testing, the second half of the school day will be utilized to begin introducing students to the Zoom Meeting software and how it will be used for their classes. Additional and specific information regarding the Virtual Learning Environment and the use of the Zoom Meeting software will be provided to all students and families in the near future as more information is received regarding potential school closure.
- Faculty and students will continue utilizing the myWeiss Learning Management System (LMS) as normal to communicate with each other regarding their coursework. Faculty will post student assignments, assessment, projects and other school-based tasks to ensure that educational instruction is uninterrupted.
- Students will be asked to log into their myWeiss portal on a daily basis to check their Assignment Center for class assignments, assessments, announcements, scheduled Zoom Meeting times, and other learning projects.
- Communication between Faculty and Students will occur through the messaging feature in the myWeiss portal, via Weiss School email, and through the Zoom Meeting software.
- Student class assignments, assessments, and other learning projects will be submitted and collected through the myWeiss portal and/or through the Zoom Meeting software.
- Depending on the timing of a potential school closure, Academic “work packets” will be sent home with students to complete. If the School experiences a closure before packets can be sent home, the packets will be emailed to students and parents in addition to being uploaded to the myWeiss Assignment Center.
- Counseling staff will provide information and resources via Zoom, myWeiss, or via email to families regularly on mindfulness, relaxation, and other stress reducing techniques that can be done in the home.
- Counseling staff will be available to the school community as needed via Zoom, myWeiss, or via email during school hours to provide direct counseling services.
Please let us know if you have any further questions.
The Administrative Team